Thursday, September 16, 2004

Hockey Musings

I got some thoughts of hockey in general.

The World Cup of Hockey.
I enjoyed this tournament. We get to see some high calibre hockey...higher than the NHL, even. The NHL has marginal players but in the World Cup, we only get the top flight people from each country. Not too shabby. The games were relatively fun, I found. It's a neat tournament that I hope lasts for a while. However, this is my complaint. They take it way too seriously. By calling it the "World Cup", we automatically think of soccer. In comparison, the WC of Hockey is a joke next to the real World Cup. I think it was a big mistake naming it the World Cup. There is only one World Cup. They should have named it something that doesn't bring to mind a tournament with a true World following and tons of history. The World Cup of Hockey has very little history (under that specific name). Nevertheless, I think the tournament itself is a lot of fun to watch, especially since there won't be NHL for a good long while...which brings me to my next point:

NHL Lockout.
Everyone's to blame. Maybe not equally, but I'd say 60/40, players/owners. On the one hand, you have greedy players who want as much money as they can get (can you blame them?) but fail to understand that this course of actions will ultimately lead to losing their jobs, when teams fold en masse. On the other hand, you have owners who claim they cannot keep paying these salaries, then turn around and sign nutty contracts. Chris Pronger, $10M for 1 year? The owners are saying one thing, but doing another. Hopefully, this lockout lasts so long that he league loses 6 or 8 teams. They hundreds of players will be out of a job. That's teach everyone. In the meanwhile, I got my NHL videogame to keep my hockey thirst going.

That's my opinion. I could be wrong.

No comments: