Friday, December 17, 2004

Cont Ed

So I went to school to register for some Cont Ed courses. They direct me to a room labelled "Step 1". On my way down the hall, I see that Steps 2 through 4 are behind me, making the layout of this procedure make as much sense as 3 nacelles on a starship (high fives, anyone? props? Nyargh...). Anyway, I fill in some papers in Step 1, then proceed to Step 2 where the hilarity begins.

You see, it turns out that many people taking cnot ed classes either:
a) don't know English
b) don't come prepared with papers
c) are stupid.

Sometimes all of the above. To wit: there was this Chinese dude who couldn't speak a lick of English and he was going up the girl who takes papers and verifies things. She told him he has to write "in PEN...not PENCIL...PEN. This is a pen. Write with THIS." So he whispers something that sounded like "ok" and shuffles off to the side to correct his mistake. Since all his info was loaded on the computer, the girl decided to wait for him, instead of handling me. So I wait there...and the guy returns. He gingerly plops his papers on the desk with satisfaction. The girl starts going through them, when..."I said pen! This IS STILL pencil!" So the guy leaves again to correct his papers.

Finally, she calls me up and upon seeing my funky, foreign name, she thought she's have another hard time. But lo! I was a beacon of clarity in those dark times. And she rejoiced.

Addendum: After I proceeded through steps 3, 4 and 5, I saw the Chinese guy finally make his way to the next step.

No comments: