Friday, April 21, 2006

California dreamin'

(Disclaimer: This is a Star Trek-related post. If you don't care about such things, too bad!)

As you may or may not know, I will be going to the E3 convention in L.A. next month. If you are not aware, it is the world's largest annual trade show and the third largest gaming convention for the computer and video games industry. Only industry people are allowed to go, so this is indeed very special. Last year, over 70,000 people attended. It's like the Mardi Gras or Carnivale of video games. I've never left this time zone so this trip will be special to be sure.

While in L.A., I was planning on going down to 5555 Melrose Ave to yell at the gates, voicing my disapproval of Paramount's treatment of my beloved Star Trek. But good news, everyone! Today, news comes that Rick "The Toad" Berman is indeed out and J.J. Abrams and the crew from Lost are in! They are now charged with making the next Trek film, purportedly centered around Kirk's early days at the Academy and in space. This idea has been around for seemingly ever and it's finally getting its due. A lot of geek fanboys will dismiss this outright and claim they will boycott, but not I! I know the quality Abrams and co. can produce and I am hyped. Keeping with the Lost connection, maybe they should get Josh "Sawyer" Holloway as McCoy. Well, him or Gary Sinise. Anyway, I am happy with this news. I will now go to the gates and give a huzzah!

Yes, I am a geek. Leave me be.

No comments: