Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Exhibit #umpteen in why Gwen Stefani needs to go back to No Doubt

I will not forgive Gwen Stefani for leaving No Doubt. They were putting out perfectly serviceable little ditties for years when she decided she was too good for them, ditched them and came out with a solo career. Suddenly, this SoCal rich white chick from Orange County gets all hip-hop and "urban" on us? Pleeeeeease!

Now, with the release of her second solo album, comes more fodder for my own special brand of vitriolic diatribes. Her new song, "Wind It Up", really bothers me. First, it starts with a horrible re-imagining of that yodeling song from the Sound of Music (Julie Andrews is spinning in her grave!...what? she's not? Well...I see). Then the lyrics read like a 5th rate ripoff of "My Humps", which was already a 3rd rate song, at best.

Sample (bold added by me for emphasis):
This is the key that makes us wind up
When the beat comes on, the girls all line up
And the boys all look, but no, they can't touch
But the girls want to know why boys like us so much

They like the way we dance, they like the way we work
They like that way that L.A.M.B. is going 'cross my shirt
They like the way my pants, it compliments my shape (She's crazy, right?)
They like the way we react everytime we dance
Compared with this from "My Humps":
They say I'm really sexy,
The boys they wanna sex me.
They always standin' next to me,
Always dancing next to me,
Tryin' a feel my hump, hump.
Lookin' at my lump, lump.
You can look but you can't touch it

I'm sure you are all familiar with the inane lyrics of "My Humps", so I won't sample any more of it, but you get the idea. Why Gwen, why? Also, why is the state of music so horrible, especially radio in this here city? There's nothing you can tune to and just leave on. Of course, there is no recourse on the dial anyway, so switching stations is really just an instinct and not a panacea for our musical woes. Maybe satellite radio is the way to go.


12 comments:

chicounet said...

Hehehe, both songs get on my nerves. There's another one from fergie... I don't remember what it's called (maybe it's for the best). That one is even worse.

Oh and a suggestion for music, try this website I discovered a while back: www.di.fm. It has all sorts of channels (I listen to trance mostly... helps me concentrate while coding). Maybe you'll find something to your liking.

Or maybe you'll find another entry for your blog. :D

Vrej said...

Actually, I've been trying out www.somafm.com. It's pretty solid, has a bunch of different channels.

The Fergie song you're probably talking about is "London Bridge". Sigh...

Michael Choi said...

I agree, I hate the stuff they put on Montreal radio stations, thats why I only listen to The Buzz 99.9 FM they only play Rock/Alternative music..no sissy pop music...you can even listen to the station online at their site www.999thebuzz.com

Vrej said...

Yeah, for the longest time, Buzz wasn't online due to some US laws and fees and things, but it changed now and it's back. Even Buzz often plays some unlistenable dreck, though.

Michael Choi said...

thats true too but for someone like me who doesn't have satellite radio its probably the best thing to listen to in the car other than Habs games on CJAD hehehe....

Evil One said...

I don't understand that London Bridge song.

Vrej said...

I believe the use of "London Bridge" in the lyrics means her underwear. It's some kind of Brit-slang.

On a side note, if you've ever read about British slang, it's ridiculous. Every word has a few other words that mean the same thing, in slang. If you're not born into it, it's indecipherable.

Masta said...

I still remember vrej sending me that god awful song my humps. "Chris you have to hear this.." I'll never forgive you for that.

chicounet said...

Hmmmm... I listened to london bridge... that wasn't the song I was talking about. This is what I was talking about:

Fergie - Fergalicious

:D I hate it

chicounet said...

This reminds me of that baldguy from MTV that did a monologue at the end of Limp Bizkit's Significant Other cd. He was insulting the backstreet boys, britney spears and all the others out there like them and kept ranting on how they killed the music business and what not.

Matt Pinfield was his name. And he spoke the TRUTH. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the WORD.

Vrej said...

Psssst, Limp Bizkit is awwwwwful!!

chicounet said...

I liked their first 3 albums. After that it just went downhill for me.