Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hand drying is fun

Here at work, we have a single hand dryer in the men's room. There are 3 sinks, however. So they accept that there may be 3 people at once washing their hands but only one man is lucky enough to dry them. The strongest and fittest man, perhaps. Natural selection. Darwin would be proud.

Playing with this reality is not without its fun. I enjoy being a punk. There is a fun game I like to play. I go to wash my hands while there are other washers, then go dry my hands before them...and take my sweet time. I like to see how long it takes people to leave, wet-handed, in frustration. It's a sociological experiment.

The best though, is once they give up and go to the door, I stop drying my hands and leave with them. They get so confused. I can see the cogs in their heads working. "Should I return and dry my hands? Cross the entire floor of the men's room to get to the dryer? But in so doing, I would have to pass by that punk who was using the dryer, thereby admitting defeat." And sure enough, nobody ever comes back to dry their hands. Once they decided to leave the bathroom, hands unwashed, they never walk back to dry because that would mean admitting they were waiting for me. Hubris is a funny thing.

8 comments:

Masta said...

Wow, you're a jerk!

antsy said...

haha that's exactly what I said. Or I believe I used the term "sick bastard".

... yes, that was it.

chicounet said...

Hahahahahahaha that's funny. Keep it up and you might receive a notice saying that you're fired (and guess what... that piece of paper WILL be wet).

Hilarious experiment by the way.

jons said...

I wonder if the same ppl will realize what you're doing.

Vrej said...

Haha, probably not. As for getting fired, I'm out of here one way or another very shortly.

chicounet said...

Really? I thought the day would never come...

mat said...

That is pretty sick indeed.

One word, karma.

Evil One said...

There was this girl at my old job who did what you did. I solved the problem by my sticking my hands above hers during her abnormally long session. Her hands got wet, mine were dry. She changed her bathroom visiting hours.