Thursday, March 08, 2007

Just to remind you of diversity

Since Facebook.com expanded to include all internet users (instead of only students) last September, the site really exploded. Within a day or two of registering, dozens of people found and added me. It's a really fun and organized way to link up with people you know or knew. And their photo uploading system is apparently the most popular photo hosting service currently on the net. You can join different groups and organize your friends through how you met them. It's great.

Now, it is missing one function. Much like Stephen Colbert, I don't see race. People tell me Kenny is Chinese or Chris is black or I'm...miscellaneous; I have to believe them. But this way, I have to rely on other people to tell me. Sometimes a situation comes up where I need the insight of members of other races for information or advice. But since I cannot tell their race, I don't know what to do. So I propose the following: racebook.com.

All your friends are divided by race. That way you can tell you're racist just by seeing you only have 1 member in "Black Friends". Personally, I'm told my "Asian Friends" section would be overwhelmed. But this way, at a quick glance you can tell who you know is Asian, Black, Brown, White, etc. People of mixed race: no free pass. You can't belong to two groups. Pick a side.

Well, what do you people think? Good idea? Bad idea? Does this post make me horribly racist? You decide. But only after figuring out what category I would be in. West Asian?

9 comments:

Evil One said...

What kind of question would have that only someone of a particular race can answer?

mat said...

I thought you were Armenian. That would make you a European (since historically Armenia was always considered part of Europe).

And I don't think a racebook is a good idea.

Vrej said...

Well, "west asian" is actually an inside joke with me and chris. See, one day I was researching on the canadian govt's site about visible minorities and Armenians are classified as "west asian" visible minority in the eyes of the govt. yay!

As for Evil One's comments, you know...translating words, or ceremonies or things in other cultures. Inquiring minds want to know.

Rez said...

Apparently the term visible minority might be racist. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/08/canada-minorities.html

chicounet said...

I think that any way to classify ppl into different groups is bad:

Examples:

Racebook = bad idea
Sexbook = bad idea
Religionbook = VERY VERY VERY bad idea.

Classification = Discrimination

Vrej said...

So, instead of visible minority, what will they call people? "Noticeably Diverse"?

Also, Chico, this sexbook idea of yours is interesting. Tell more. Is it like the Kama Sutra?

chicounet said...

Hehehehe, you wish... I was thinking more of sexual orientation. Hence... bad idea.

Masta said...

Facebook is already sexbook. What are the first questions? Interested in men or women? Looking for.... Then you have all kinds of slutty answers, "WHATEVER I CAN GET! RANDOM PLAY!!!"

Almost every person's list includes some kind of rape. Two guys have allegedly raped me on facebook. And Jen has raped countless men and women.

Vrej said...

Gah?

rapebook?