Thursday, March 22, 2007

Too angry to study

I was sitting at my desk, working, when a heavy bass beat started arousing my curiosity. I'm on the 11th floor, so I figured something big was happened. I glance out the window and there was a demonstration going on outside.

A procession of angry students playing loud music was going westwards on de Maisonneuve, protesting tuition rates. That got my ire up.

Quebec has the lowest tuition on the continent. As a result, our universities are poorly funded and good professors don't want to teach here. Yet, this bunch of beatniks want to keep it that way. I don't understand how they can protest a raise in tuition (that our system is ever so thirsty for) and yet still spend $5 on a coffee at Second Cup. And let's not forget the benjamins they spend on beer. Let me get this straight...So they have enough money to blow on luxuries but when it comes to their education, they don't want to drop any coins? Utter madness and highly illogical.

As an aside, you'll often notice that student protesters never come from engineering or medicine or other faculties where students are required to do much work. Protesters are mostly composed of Environmental Studies students or some rubbish that will result in not having a job after graduation.

Feel free to disagree with me but I feel tuitions should indeed go up, just as long as we're assured the extra money makes it to the schools and not the government's pockets.

6 comments:

chicounet said...

Hahaha that's so true! Engineering students never show up to demonstrations simply because they're too busy studying LOL.

Mat said...

I completely agree with you Vrej.

Vrej said...

Nice. I love people who agree with me. ;)

chicounet said...

What about people that completely agree with you?

Vrej said...

I love them, too.

Anonymous said...

hey whatever happened to those deals where you could get 10 music CDs for 1 penny? couldnt you just do that now and sell the cd's on ebay for like 4-5$ and make nice profit?