Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Weather or not?

I am not a fan of this time of year. Today, it will hit 11 degrees but next week, it will be -11? A swing of 22 degrees in the span of a week? Where do we live? It's like someone is rolling a D30 and randomly setting the temp for the day.

Aside: Hmmmm...the D30, however, would not account for the +/- of the temperature. A coin must also be flipped, heads +, tails -. Yeah, that would work. Done. I congratulate myself.

It wasn't that long ago that is was -38 with the wind chill. In fact, it was last week. This is madness! (This is Sparta?)

My oft-mentioned theory is that when they settled this place, it was definitely in the middle of summer. They showed up, felt the heat and built houses. Then, winter fell like a narcoleptic sumo wrestler after cleaning out an Asian buffet. Many people died, there were not enough men to man the ships and in the corner, the Natives just laughed, while walking around in their pimped out caribou-fur coats (of course, the settlers got their revenge in the form of infected blankets and firewater). Fast-forward many years and people are still here, out of habit, more than anything.

I think I lost my focus for a minute there. My point is, I don't like the slush outside. It's absolutely filthy. Plus, this odd period of transition wreaks havoc with the wardrobe. Do I put away my winter coat? After work is too warm for it but the mornings remain cool.

Oh and another thing in this increasingly disjointed post. This time of year really stinks due to the lack of holidays. New Year's Day was the last day off until Easter, more than 3 months later. How dare they? I propose at least one holiday per month.

In short, January-April blows.

11 comments:

Evil One said...

Well... They tried to fill in the blanks with Valentine's day and St Patty's day. There is nothing like binge drinking to forget the horrible weather.

Vrej said...

Well, Valentine's is a non-event for the single-folk. It's just a day for couples to publicly shame their single counterparts. Haha...
And St-Patty's day is when all the amateur louts show up and mis-drink all over the place, shaming people who can handle their liquor. Nothing worse than wading through green puke on the way home.

Evil One said...

I prefer green puke to the beige variety.

Vrej said...

The mere fact you have a preference in terms of puke hue is slightly odd. At least you know what you like, though. I prefer no puke at all.
Is that your plan? To drink till you puke, this St-Patty's?

Mat said...

I'd say that in Quebec, the only enjoyable months are from September to mid-November.

Summer is incredibly humid.

Winter is terribly cold and humid.

Spring is ok but it's full of mud and I always seem to be stuck with my winter coat when it's hot outside.

Vrej said...

Disagreed. June and July are excellent months.

chicounet said...

I happen to think that spring is the best season of them all... not too hot, not too cold... just perfect. Oh and to all you nay sayers (you know who you are...), answer this: Aren't you guys glad that winter's done for?

Evil One said...

Well, the plan is to drink. Not only for St Patty's day but also Evil One appreciation day (a.k.a. my birthday). Should puking ensue, it's a consequence that I will have to accept.

BTW winter is not done for, it's going to be -10 next week with snow.

Vrej said...

A pox upon winter and its endless, pan-seasonal tendrils!

Anonymous said...

it's all the fault of those damn smokers, thinning the ozone layer and causing global warming....i hate people who smoke!
;) ;) ;)

Vrej said...

Does Al Gore have anything to do with this? I didn't see that movie of his yet. Is it any good? Too sensationalistic? One-sided? Or does it present a balanced view of the situation?