Wednesday, January 23, 2008

PS3: My Secret Shame

I'm no fan of Sony on the whole. This is mainly because of the smugness they keep displaying, shoveling out inferior products and then telling the masses to like it and if they don't, then it's because they don't understand the sheer brilliance of their stuff. There is a loooong laundry list of quotes from Sony brass condescending to their Playstation clients but I won't get into that right now. My point is that when WB decided to go Blu-ray, it seems more likely that it will win the HD disc fight over rival HD DVD. This development saddened me. I have a few HD DVD for my Xbox 360's HD add-on but now I felt that I would be shut out. All sorts of great stuff I'd like to see in HD would be coming for Blu-ray (Star Wars, HBO shows like Rome, Lord of the Rings...man, that would look sweet in HD) so what was I to do? Thanks to Kenny and his US address, I snagged a cheap, used, discontinued 20GB PS3 online and it works fine.

Now don't get me wrong. I didn't get this system for the games. There are very few things I want to play of PS that aren't available for Xbox (except MLB: The Show...that looks kinda sweet). The main reason I wanted this PS3 was that it remains the best Blu-ray player on the market, cheaper, more easily upgradeable and more advanced than stand-alone units. Why did I go for the 20GB? Well, it's discontinued and the hard disk is small, hence its cheapness online. It does have an advantage that the terrible 40GB model currently for sale doesn't: it features the PS2 chipset, meaning older games are straight up backwards compatible as opposed to software emulated, which the 40GB does shoddily, I'm told. Regardless, like I said, this machine isn't really for my gaming but for my movie watching.

I am ashamed to admit I bit at Sony's hook and I'll be dragged into the Blu-ray market by force. I suppose none of this will matter once they make it so movies download directly to the brain. But that's a long time off. For now, I have both my HD movie sources covered.

9 comments:

antsii said...

For shame..... winning that auction must have been painful.

Vrej said...

Sigh...

I should have checked Craig's List first...I think you can find them cheaper there

Masta said...

I... I don't understand... Why don't you just wait for these things to go down in price when you'll know will win these resolution wars for certain?

Vrej said...

I don't understand your point. I like technology and want cool new toys. I'm not about to keep buying normal dvds when I know there is better out there on the market. It's just a good thing I didn't buy a new PS3 because they're ungodly expensive.

Masta said...

But if you don't know what's going to be the trend, you'll end up with a collection of expensive and as far as I understand, almost immediately obsolete media. At least normal dvds were around for a few years. It sounds like in the next year or two, either Blu Ray or HD will become old. What a pain.

Vrej said...

Nothing will become old, don't worry. And normal dvds will be around a good long while, too. If Blu-ray wins (which is more than likely at this point) it will be a long time before the next generation (so-called 4k resolution) will come out. Everyone's invested so much in 1080 resolution tvs at this point, nobody will switch over to the next thing. Also, the technology for the next next-generation hardware isn't even near coming out and when it does way in the future it will be insanely expensive. No, I believe this current high definition era will last a while.

Masta said...

That's a relief. But what if Blu Ray loses? Then you've bought the playstation for nothing.

chicounet said...

Ya if blu-ray loses you'll be stuck playing Riiiiiddge Raaaaacceeeeerrr....

Vrej said...

It's looking like it won't lose. Only two studios are left in the HD DVD camp compared to the other 4 major studios with Blu-ray and plenty of more minor studios aligned with Blu. It's looking like a Blu future.

I refuse to play Ridge Racer. :P