Monday, February 04, 2008

Writers of the world, continue uniting!

As the writer's strike in Hollywood appears to be ending, I cannot help but feel a pang of sadness. When the strike began, I feared that the lack of my favourite shows would be a real blow to my (anti-)social life. How would I kill spend my time? But as the new episodes of shows dried up, I found myself experiencing a strange feeling of freedom. The strike proved to be my very own personal William Wallace. Suddenly, I had a lot of free time in the evening. So how did I fill this time?

Well, with many hours free to me, I finally got around to doing things I've been meaning to do for a long time. I read a bunch of books that I've had languishing on my shelf. I wrote on my novel some more and fleshed out more of the plot (for a hint of its plot, I was inspired by this album and especially its artwork). I turned to my ever increasing dvd collection and started making my way through the ones that I bought but never even watched. I began playing video games that I had bought or received as gifts but whose shrink wrap I never opened. I even started catching up on old seasons of tv shows I've been meaning to watch but never got around to. (I know there is a certain hilarity in that I deem it a success to watch more tv shows to fill in the time when my other shows are out of commission but you must understand that I'm OCD-esque like that. If I have anything outstanding on my mind, it'll bother me until it's done.)

Now that the strike appears to be ending soon, what will I do? I've been steadily making my way through all the Bond movies (in order!) that I bought long ago. Will the return of new episodes put a stop to that project? What of my long in development novel? Will it die on the vine? I am supremely grateful that we'll probably get a full season of Lost and 24 will come back at one point but having no new scripted shows opened my eyes. I liken myself to that Simpsons episode "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge" where the Itchy & Scratchy show gets super lame and all the kids discover the outdoors and a world without tv. Or perhaps I'm the labouring children from Temple of Doom, escaping the slavery of network television for the freedom of a village soon to be blessed by the magical Sankara stones, or in this analogy, the freedom of doing basically anything else. In any case, my future leisure hours remain up in the air, to be divvied up as I see fit. Is less television in my future? Only time (and persuasive advertising) will tell.

10 comments:

Masta said...

"A dog returns to its own vomit... A sow, after washing returns to wallowing in the mire." That flattering analogy of your relationship to television comes straight from the Bible, 2Peter 2:22.

Vrej said...

Is vomit and the mire scripted television? But I only watch quality. No American Idol for me, no sir.

Vrej said...

Incidentally, Vomit and the Mire sounds like the title of a great 70s buddy cop show.

Vrej said...

...or a wacky morning show radio team.

Masta said...

television itself isn't vomit. But if it's a bad habit whereby you feel you're spending more time doing that than mind expanding, community embiggening activities, then the bad habit is vomit. You see how you're a sow and a dog?

Vrej said...

Meh, the community sucks anyway. With every passing day, I'm disappointed in people. Actually, it's just bus drivers. Get this, I was going to my stop, crossing the street as the bus stopped to pick up someone at the stop. I'm gently jogging across the street to get to the bus and the driver looks at me, closes the door and leaves in my face. I was so enraged that an eerie calm came over me. If I got my hands on that guy, I seriously would have beaten him right there.

I hate bus drivers. They are the scum of the earth and deserve a fate worse than I can imagine.

Masta said...

Brilliant observation. I have a deep distate for bus drivers. 60 G's a year for rude, expensive, unreliable service. And still they want to strike year after year. I say kill them all and hire a new generation of bus drivers just to make sure that not a trace of their greed remains.

Vrej said...

And to be eco-friendly, the bio-mass of the dispatched drivers should be used to fuel the buses.

Masta said...

If biology has taught me anything, using busdrivers as fuel would result in evil, demonic buses. You don't want that. We'll use the bus driver remains to build a gross corpse tree like in 300.

Vrej said...

Hmm, agreed.

Homies over hoes, homies over hoes.