Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Grammar!

On the heels of my controversial blog post on spelling, here comes another language peeve of mine. Me vs I.

Why can't people get it straight?

For example:

You and I were invited for supper. --> Correct.
The teacher asked you and I to stay after class. --> Wrong!

Only when you are the subject of the sentence do you use I. An easy trick is is to eliminate all others from the sentence:

I [was] invited for supper. --> Correct.
The teacher asked I to stay after class. --> Wrong and sounds stupid, too.

It should be: The teacher asked me to stay after class. Likewise, adding more people would make it: The teacher asked you and me to stay after class.

See, easy, right?

So now you shouldn't have any problems keeping me and I straight. Unless you're from Laval, then you start all your sentences with both.

Me, I don't like that.

No comments: